Monday, March 16, 2009

New outlook

The laptop is finally being fixed. That means no pics until I get it back. Hopefully it won't be gone for too long and when I get it back - hopefully it's 'crashing' days are over. It may be time for a new one but that costs money and well - with triplets - $ is something of the past. No complaints about it though. Actually - the point of this post is all about a better outlook. See...lately I've been really draggin' butt. It gets harder and harder to get out of bed in the morning. The days are longer and nights are shorter. The past few weeks have been full of sniffles and teething, crying and whining (not just from the girls) and lots of complaints. Mostly though - what has me down is the fact that I've realized that no matter how hard Pete and I try - we apparently can't do anything right. Just ask our family. They seem to be the ones that are kind enough to point this out to us on a daily basis. We don't cook enough for the girls. They don't get out enough or we're keeping them in too much. Why do they need to eat that? What's wrong with this? Why didn't you fix the drawer yet? Oh - they're going to get hurt on that. Why didn't you fold laundry? What are they girls going to wear today? That's too big, that's too small. Too many people come over. It's our fault they're sick of course. I should have made sure I put them back in their bubble before people came to their birthday parties. You know...the same parties where I had to demand that people put my children down until they washed up? I kept racking my brain trying to figure out how in the world I got into such a rut. It's not me. I'm a very optimistic person but lately I've been hard to live with. I realized that it's because there are too many people that think they know how to raise my kids better than Pete and I. And here's the funny thing...at night when they go to bed I look around and the only 2 people I see are...you guessed it...Pete and me! Imagine my shock. We don't claim to be perfect. How can we be? We're 1st time parents. We will make mistakes and hopefully we'll learn from them. So today I'm done. I'm done dealing with people who have an opinion. I'm not killing my kids. I know this because they wake up every morning and smile at me. That's right...they actually smile! Again...imagine my surprise? Smiling babies? It couldn't be. Not smiling at the very parents who just seem to be doing such a horrible job. I've decided that I'm going to just ignore people from now on. If you think you know better...go have your own kids and if you've already had your own kids - then go find someone else's kids to raise. But Pete and I have decided to keep the ones we have. We're going to bring them up OUR way. That means when it's happening in our house...it's happening OUR way. Yup. No more arguments or compromising. No more hiding the Tylenol because we're afraid someone is going to know that we gave them some Tylenol so they're not in so much pain from teething. And no more letting it get me down. Summer is here. I'm taking my babies to the beach, the mall and the science center (as horrible parents...we bought season passes so we can torture our kids with educational experiences). I'll be taking them for long walks in our choo choo wagon and giving them PB& J sandwiches at the park. I'm going to let them pet every puppy that comes across their path and I'm going to let them play in the mud. I'm going to take them to swimming pool...chlorine and all! I'm probably even going to let them eat a lollipop or two. And what I'm not going to do is let people dictate what our everyday life will be like. People say to me over and over again "enjoy them now...the time will pass quickly". And they're right. So enjoy them we will do! And I'm getting out of this rut and back into MY fun life. And I'm bringing my girls with me. So if you're reading this and you happen to come to my house and see something that's broken...fix it. Something needs cleaning? Clean it. Something you don't approve of? Ignore it. Pete and I are doing just fine. And short of packing up and moving out of state...something we consider often (little brother will be coming with us) - we'll just start ignoring the comments and move on with our daily living. One day at a time. Filled with fun and smiles, giggles and milestones!!!
Enjoy your day...because we're sure going to!
Michelle

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you have been feeling so pressured lately. I know how you feel to a point, My mom is the same way with my daughter and I. I feed her hot dogs, take her trick-or-treating, take her outside without a hat in the summer. know it goes on and on. My daughter is 3 and still alive and happy so you know what I'm doing ok.

    Good for you for putting it all out there. I hope you feel better and can enjoy your girls. I hope they are feeling better now too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen from me too. People mean well, but the constant criticism can drive you nuts. I love how people who have never had triplets or more try to tell you how/what to do.

    ReplyDelete