Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Nightime routine

So a few nights have come and gone and somehow Pete and I are still sane. We work well as a team. (most times anyway..hehe). Before bed at night we actually do make all the bottles for the night. We have a cooler that we pack full of their bottles and this way we don't have to walk up and down the stairs while we're 1/2 asleep. Each bottle is labeled with a sticker...has the name of the baby and what time they are due to get it. This system works out very well for us as we don't have to measure liquids or guess who is getting what bottle. We do manage to feed them in a "wandering sleep" kind of way...lol. Although last night...I gave Emily Hannah's bottle (Emily of course didn't mind...but Hannah was kind of pissed). lol...it's ok though - I just took Emily's bottle and gave Hannah back what was owed to her. It was only fair. And the lesson learned there would be that I can't have 2 bottle in front of me (even though they're labeled!) at one time. Anyway - we have a written schedule of when they are due to eat so we set the alarm to go off 15 minutes before they eat so we can wake them up (changing their diapers are a sure fire way of doing this) and get their bottles ready. At that point I usually feed Hannah, hand her off to Pete to hold and then start feeding Hailey. Then Hailey gets handed off to Pete so he's now holding both of them and then it's Emily's turn depending on the time. At the end of it all I usually pump and by that time we attempt to put Hannah and Hailey back to bed (Emily will be sleeping soundly by this point as she is our sleeping beauty and when the food is gone she's back to sleep). Crib or chest? Yeah - this all depends on the spit factor and how tired we are. If all is going well and they aren't spitting and we have the patience to watch them in their crib for a little while - that's where they'll go. If we're exhausted and they're spitting too much...they benefit because then it's on our chest they sleep. Hannah on mine and Hailey on Pete's. We try (yeah...try) to not let this happen but sometimes it's a must. And on this note...I'll say that comments aren't welcome. I don't want to hear how dangerous or unhealthy this is nor do I want to hear how you put your children right in their cribs from birth. I'm happy for you but these are my babies and we'll do as we please. When you have 3 babies at one time - feel free to comment on how well you were able to get them all to sleep at the same time. ;-)
And the bottle warmer. WHY DIDN'T SOMEONE FILL ME IN ON THIS EARLIER?!?!?!? It was only last week (and yes...our babies are 6 weeks old now!) that one of the doctors I work with asked if I had a bottle warmer. I said "huh? those exist?!?!" Yeah - that prompted an immediate trip to Babies R Us and now it is on my "can't live without" list.
I'll post a "can't live without" list soon.
I love my babies so much. I still can't believe they are so beautiful and healthy AND they're ours!
Milkshake time for Emily soon so off we go. Maybe we'll go for a walk tomorrow since it's going to be 70 degrees!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment