Friday, February 20, 2009

Growth Scan

This post will be a little off date wise because it's going to be a busy weekend for us due to the girls 1st bday on Sunday.
It was Thursday Feb 21st, 2008 and I went in for the growth scan. My heart is racing because I know today is a big day. The scan was scheduled at 11:00 but the nurse comes in at around 9 and asks if I'm ready. "No way!" I tell her I have to wait for my husband and that he won't be able to make it until 11:00 because he's working. She says something along the lines of "well - you'll just have to give him the update because they're ready for you now". Lol...nooooooo...it doesn't work that way in my world. I like my world. As anxious as I was to have this scan - I wasn't going without Pete. I told her to give me a few minutes to see if I could call Pete and have him come sooner. He can - so it's a win-win situation. I don't have to tell the nurse to take a flying hike and she doesn't have to threaten to cancel my scan. At this point I'm nervous, anxious and now a little pissed. I know where we need to go so as Pete is wheeling me by the nurses station I tell her "I'll find my own way there and back - no need to over work yourself trying to get me where I need to go". I'm sure the nurses are just as tired of me as I am of them. They're 'suppose' to be nice. I know they're over-worked but still...I'm pregnant...with triplets. Give me a break. We get in the room and usually a nurse does the scan and then the doctor looks it over but this time the doctor walks in and he's doing the scan himself. I've seen this doctor before but he's not my regular doc. The scan takes about 45 minutes and then the doc leaves. He sends a MED STUDENT back in the room to tell me that "Baby A still hasn't grown but we're going to continue to watch you for another week." My heart sinks because I know that I'm going to have babies soon. No way am I leaving Hailey in there one more week. I thank the med student but tell her that she needs to go get the attending...and NOT the one that did the scan. I give her the name of who I need to see. The doc that did the scan comes back in the room about 20 minutes later and says the same thing the med student said. I have a few choice words with him over his lack of bedside manner and say I'm not leaving without speaking to MY ATTENDING PHYSICIAN. He explains that my attending is covering other parts of the hospital that day and isn't on this particular rotation. "I know this you moron...I work here and I know where the fk these doctors work. Get the fk out of my room and go get him N O W." I'm telling Pete that there's something seriously wrong with the way things are going at this point. Not with the babies but with how things run in the hospital. It shouldn't be this way. I wanted a much more positive experience of having babies. This is far from what I expected. Not more than 10 minutes goes by when my attending comes in. I start off by telling him how unhappy I am with the previous doctor and how unacceptable this is and blah blah blah. He's not listening...they never do. They're too busy with more important things. I don't push the issue...I have something more important on my mind too. "Why isn't Hailey growing?" " What are we going to do?" "What are her chances of survival if we leave her in as oppose to taking her out?" He doesn't have specific answers...again - they never do. But he thinks that Hailey is growth restricted and wants to talk it over with the other attendings at the University before making a final decision. That's fine - I love that more than one doctor is involved because the more people = more brains. Pete and I go back to my room...I wave to the nurse on my way by. "I made it all by myself!" I'm laughing at her in my head. I'm sure she's cussing me out in hers. The same med student from earlier comes into my room about an hour later. "Sorry for what happened earlier. I had no idea that you had a scan last week and...." blah blah blah. "We were debating delivering you today - but we would be better prepared if we wait until tomorrow. We called all of the docs & nurses and it looks like everyone will be able to make it in tomorrow. We are going to schedule you for a section at 10:00am." Here's my 'oh shit' moment. I'm not ready. They're too little. The scan is showing Hailey is weighing in at just 2lbs. I'm not 32wks yet. This isn't happening now. But at the same time - I know I can't wait. The doctor is still talking "and it's better if we get Baby A out sooner than later. We have a very good NICU here and the team of doctors and nurses are well prepared to deal with this kind of situation." Me: "Her name is Hailey. Her sisters are Hannah and Emily. I hope you can meet them." She will...she's part of my team of doctors doing to the section. The girls each have a team of their own. They've all been contacted and will be ready to go by 10:00am the following day. The date will be February 22, 2008. Pete...what's he thinking? I don't know. I can't even ask him. We just sit there in silence knowing that what we're about to face isn't going to be an easy road. We also know we can't do it alone. We've been together long enough that we know what the other needs. The only thing we need right now is each other. The strength we pull from the other is going to get us through the next 24 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment