Thursday, February 19, 2009

Music, breastfeeding and horror stories

Music is a very important part of my life. It always has been and probably always will be. While I was on bed rest at home I spent many hours downloading & listening to music. (this is probably part of the reason my laptop isn't working so well these days...too many songs!). I'm on bed rest in the hospital and I use my laptop to listen to my music. I play it for the girls and they kick up a storm (mostly Hailey). It's useless to try and use the internet - the connection is so slow that I just get frustrated. But it's ok - as long as I have my music. No song really sticks out in my mind. Oh - there was a commercial running at the time. It had the lyrics to Billy Idol's "Rebel Yell" and this commercial makes me laugh every single time I see it. Everything is funny to me these days - especially this commercial. Here it is on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL9KMm9XItg I download the song and listen to it over and over and over again. So I guess this is the one song that I can connect to being pregnant. Although it's an old favorite anyway. It's not a song that is played often on the radio but I notice that no matter who comes in my room when I have it playing - they start singing along or at least know the song and comment "oh...good song - I haven't heard this in forever!"
I have a meeting with the lactation consultant. Do I want to breastfeed? No. It's not that I don't want to - I can't. I have 3 babies on the way. I've done my research and I know that Pete needs to be connected to them and one way of this happening is by him being able to feed them. Plus - I need the help feeding them. I can't really breastfeed 3 babies can I? No...not without giving up some other important things. I'm going to pump. They don't need my breast to bond with me. We'll bond at the mall. They need the nutrients of the breast milk and I'll give them that by pumping. The consultant is very understanding about this decision although many others aren't. I don't care. It's not their life. Pete and I talk about it some more and we decide this is what's best for us. I guess it doesn't matter though. People always have an opinion. Some of the nurses and even family members are stressing how important it is to put the baby to the breast. This makes me mad but I let it go. I figure this is just one of the many speed bumps I'll come across as a parent. Although I'm tired of hearing "well I breastfed for..." and "oh I wish I could have but what happened was...." I don't care. I don't care about you or your stories or what happened to you 30+ years ago. Did you have triplets? Oh. I didn't think so. When you do have triplets - then you can come to me with your stories of heroism. For now - leave me alone.
That leads me to the stories people tell. Why do people feel the need to tell me about the worst of the worst while I'm pregnant? I hear stories about babies being born deformed or still born and then usually it's followed up with "oh - but don't worry...that won't happen to you!" I'm pregnant...tell me something good! I've perfected the "tune it out" ability at this point.
Lessons are learned of course. I know now that I will never tell someone that I don't like the baby name they've chosen for their precious little one. We chose names and we chose to tell people the names. And people decide that they will say things like "well how about ___ instead?" or "oh...really that's what you're going to name them?" We got a lot of "Well why only 2 H names?" I have also learned to be very positive to pregnant women. I am pregnant and emotional. I can't take sad stories - they make me cry! I will in turn do my best not to do the same thing to others. I guess that in the end I can thank the people that weren't so nice or had some pretty ugly things to say. Why would I thank them? They have shown me how NOT be and that's a life lesson.

1 comment:

  1. soooo I was wondering why would you name two girls an H name and not the Third? that just doesn't complete the unit....
    ahahaha Just Kidding!! we did the same thing i wasn't going for rhyming, or matching it, just turned out that the girls names i had at the top of my list were both A's and my top boy name was a T! my mom really wanted Tyler to be Aiden so their names would "all go together" ah well they are my babies!

    ReplyDelete