Monday, February 16, 2009

Helicopters and Heartburn

We're a little over 1 full week in the hospital on bed rest. I have my own room (very wise choice on the hospital's part) and I have a window. I can see the main entrance way to the hospital (the hospital is up on a hill - my view is down the hill). We have a helipad and in the week I've been here, I've seen a helicopter land at least 3 times. My curiosity gets the best of me and I ask the nurse "Why does the helicopter keep landing here? We're not a trauma center so I don't understand." She says "We have a level III NICU here. Babies are being flown in from all over the state that need our level of care." Sadly - this makes me feel better. I knew we had chosen a good place to have the girls - this just reassures me that everything will be ok.
It's midnight and I have heartburn so bad I feel like I'm going to throw up. This has been ongoing and probably the worst part of my pregnancy. (I told you that my pregnancy was very uneventful...heartburn is as bad as it gets for me). I need something so I ring my call bell. Hmmm...still waiting after a few minutes. Call again. Still waiting. Finally the nurse answers my call and says "can I help you?" Now I'm thinking 'I know that voice'. Yeah - sure enough it would be the very nurse who I told days previously not to let the door hit her @ss on the way out. I ask for something for my heartburn. She says "I have orders not to enter your room until 6:00am. I'll be sure to bring it then." Really?!?! I say calmly "ok - that's fine". I have my own Zantac - I don't need the hospitals. I was just trying to be the good patient and make sure they had everything documented. I get up off my bed and get my own heartburn pill and make a mental note to let the docs know I'm taking it. I keep repeating that I have said things "calmly" and this is intentional. Because during one of these upcoming posts you will read about a day that I went from calm to seeing red in the middle of the NICU. Trust me when I say - it wasn't pretty and the post will shock you. I promise that much.
During my hospital stay I wear my own clothes (those that would fit anyway) and put on makeup everyday. I try to look as normal as possible. Oh - and I take the longest showers of my life. (After getting orders that it would be ok for me to shower of course). I miss those showers! Because nowadays I'm back to what I refer to as 'boot camp' showers. In and out in 5 minutes and hope you've got it all!!!!
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment